Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie


Matched (Matched, #1)


* Here is Sunday's book review.  I scheduled it to post on Sunday, apparently I messed something up!  My bad :) 


Matched


My rating:
4 of 5 stars


Really 3.5 starts

I'm a bit confused about my thoughts on this book. Some parts I loved, they resonated with me long after I put the book down. But I often felt disappointed and empty. I can't pin-point what left me wanting--maybe the parts that dragged where nothing much happened for a few chapters, or it could be the characterization.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the book was the family dynamics. Too many books have absentee or bad example parents. Matched had good parental figures that play a major role in Cassia’s life, as does her younger brother Bram. I think this is a much more realistic family dynamic for a teenager and it was refreshing to see their healthy interactions.

Cassia thinks a lot about words. Poetry. Writing. It’s all forbidden. In Cassia’s world words are never permanent. They disappear as soon as you finish speaking them. This got me thinking about how our words are truly immortal. I think that’s one of the things that draws me to writing, the hope that a piece of me will live on forever.

I have to mention how beautiful the cover is. Grey and green and stunning. It fits the book perfectly and it’s so different than the typical black covers I’ve been seeing so much of.

Plot: The plot was slow moving in places and I frequently found myself growing impatient, but once it picked up the words were beautiful and drew me into an almost dream-like state. If you’re looking for a dystopian adventure you’ll be disappointed, but if you want a book that focuses on the day-to-day life of someone living in a dystopian society you’ll enjoy Matched.

Setting: Cassia lives in a very regimented society where all decisions are made for the citizens and every action is predicted. I was a little disappointed with the setting because I wanted something grittier I think. Cassia lives in something like a cookie cutter suburban community. There wasn’t enough advanced technology or anything that makes it different from our world.

Characters: One of my initial frustrations was the lack of characterization in the first hundred pages or so. In the beginning it was hard for me to really get into Cassia’s character, and we learn next to nothing about the love interests (Xander and Ky) until later on.

My Verdict: If you can power through the slow parts the message is worth the effort.

View all my reviews


by Ally Condie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back from my Hiatus with fabulous news!

5 Fav Friday: Things to get the creative juices flowing!

JOHN CARTER is awesome (+ABNA news!!)