Submitted my First Short Story!

Hey all!  I know I already posted once today, but I just had to share . . .

I finally got the guts to hit "submit" on my first short story!  Not the first I've ever written (obviously) but the first that I've actually sent out.  Woot :)  I submitted it to the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine and I'm so excited.  I know my chances aren't great, but it sure felt nice to send my work out into the world.  Baby steps, right?  Maybe in a couple weeks I'll be querying for my novel!

For those of you who are curious here's a bit of my cover letter: 

Something is off about 10 year old Junie Fairchild, and it isn’t only her peculiar way of talking or her love of a decaying farmhouse where her father hung himself. Her twin sister Joan gets all the attention, she’s such a Mommy’s girl. One day Junie decides to do something about it. After all, Daddy always said, “The Lord helps those who help themselves.”

I’m a senior in the creative writing department at Weber State University, previously unpublished. In ninth grade I adapted “The Veldt” by Ray Bradbury into a monologue for a theatre competition, since then I’ve enjoyed a love-hate relationship with creepy little girl characters. Is there anything scarier?


Wish me luck!!

Comments

  1. Congrats on submitting! Every little step gets you to your goal, so good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back from my Hiatus with fabulous news!

5 Fav Friday: Things to get the creative juices flowing!

JOHN CARTER is awesome (+ABNA news!!)