Book Review: The First Test by Tamora Pierce

First Test (Protector of the Small, #1)First Test by Tamora Pierce


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary from Goodreads:
Keladry, known as Kel, has always wanted to be a knight but must deal with the disapproval of some of her teachers and fellow students. But when her young servant is kidnapped on the day of the public exams, Kel has to choose . . . to follow her dreams, or her convictions.

 Tamora Pierce did a beautiful job with this fantasy story. Kel was so well thought out that by the end of the book I felt like I knew her. Very rarely do I come across a book where the characters are as well written as the ones in this book.

I laughed with Keladry, sighed, and moaned with her. I couldn't stop rooting for her. Kel's journey showed growth and strength and was completely satisfying. I can't wait to read more of her triumphs.

The depiction of the castle and training field where very well executed but not to exhausting extent as many fantasy writers are guilty of.

The pacing was perfect. The theme was strong. The writing well executed. I can't say enough good things about this one!

What I learned about writing from reading this book:
Technically I didn't read this book, I listened to it on cd. Hearing Tamora Pierce's words come to life was a wonderful experience and reminded me of something important. As writers we're often overly concerned with grammar and sentence structure, we often neglect the flow of words, the cadence, how the words sound on the tip of our tongue.  These things are just as important as the technical perfection that we strive for.

This week I'll be reading portions of my book aloud to check for the auditory qualities.

View all my reviews



Comments

  1. Oh, I love Tamora Pierce, but haven't read any of her stuff in years. I'll be excited to read this one.

    Thanks for your thoughts on names. I'm glad somebody likes the name Alec. I'm not sure if I can bare changing it since I'm so used to writing it now. We'll see! Thanks for the name links, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, and I most especially love how you put that little "what I learned from this book" at the bottom. I recently read this book as well, but didn't even think of analyzing the writing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back from my Hiatus with fabulous news!

5 Fav Friday: Things to get the creative juices flowing!

JOHN CARTER is awesome (+ABNA news!!)