Book Review: Nightshade by Andra Cremer

Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)Nightshade by Andrea Cremer


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Summary from Goodreads:

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers.
But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?


This book was amazing. Andrea Cremer's method of storytelling is enchanting, I was so wrapped up in Calla's world I didn't want to come up for air. In Cremer's bio it says she has a degree in early modern history and that it shows her longtime love of witchcraft and warfare. This love is so evident in Nightshade. The supernatural world she created is richly detailed and original.


Calla Tor is a Gaurdian and an alpha, along side her alpha mate Ren she will lead a young pack of werewolves and protect the Keepers . . . Only everything she's ever been told turns out to be a lie. She has to learn to think for herself and trust her own judgements.


While in wolf form Calla saves the life of a human boy and the next day learns that he's enrolled in her school. She is irresistably attacted to the boy, Shay, even though she senses how dangerous that attraction might be. When Calla is told by her new Master to keep an eye on him its the excuse she needs to spend more time with him. Shay helps Calla see that her destiny doesn't have to be the plan the Keepers have for her.


I spent most of the book flipping back and forth between the two male leads, I just couldn't decide which I liked more. I still can't. Normally I'm not a fan of love triangles, but in Nightshade it really worked. I could feel how much Calla really cared for each of the boys. And it wasn't a pointless subplot, the triangle has a purpose and propells the plot forward.


Overall the book was completely addicting and I highly recomend it!

What I learned about writing from reading this book:
I learned a lot about how to make original twists on tried and true concepts.  The love triangle.  Witches.  Werewolves.  All of the material has been covered countless times before but Cremer manages to make it all seem fresh. 

Also the names were awesome without being distracting, it's something silly but I always appreciate it when the author comes up with fun names.

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. new follower! [:

    Great review! I have only been seeing raving reviews on this one, so I may have to pick it up in the near future. ...my tbr pile continues to grow! lol

    new blogger, stop by if you get a chance, thanks!:
    http://letsevaluate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back from my Hiatus with fabulous news!

5 Fav Friday: Things to get the creative juices flowing!

JOHN CARTER is awesome (+ABNA news!!)