Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)Paranormalcy by Kiersten White


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


Paranormalcy rocked by socks! Loved it. Loved Evie's voice. Loved the romance. Loved the plot. Loved the interesting take on the paranormal.


The plot was fast paced and interesting. The short-ish chapters kept me flipping through the pages. This is not one of the typical overdone takes on the paranormal. White's interpretation is refreshing and unusual.


Evie is what really makes the book. She has a hilarious voice and I couldn't wait to see what she'd say next. She's funny without trying. She's one of the most believable character's I've read in a long time. Instead of the oh-so typical kick butt snarky female lead Evie's girly (very girly) and unashamed of it. She's still pretty tough, but in a less obvious way.


The two boys who vie for her affection are both well thought out and believable. I kninda rooted for both of them, even though one is obviously not the right one for Evie . . . but he says the most beautiful things. Evie's a lucky girl.

What I learned about writing from reading Paranormalcy:
I learned a lot about voice through Evie.  Her voice is so distinctive, so true.  White did a beautiful job of  writing all the characters but Evie was truely exceptional.  Everything that she did and said rang true to her character.  I also learned a lot about pacing.  There were literally NO parts that dragged. 

I can't wait to see White's career take flight.  I think she's one of the best new writers.
View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back from my Hiatus with fabulous news!

5 Fav Friday: Things to get the creative juices flowing!

JOHN CARTER is awesome (+ABNA news!!)