Film Friday: A lesson from TRON

I know I'm a little late watching the movie (especially considering my love of sci-fi), unfortunately that always happens.  My kiddies don't do well in the theater and I feel guilty dumping them with a babysitter (usually my Mom) so I end up waiting till movies come out on DVD. 

Anyways.

Tron.  Good show.  Interesting premise, good characters with good backgrounds . . . but the execution was off.  Way off.  Their needed to be more information right up front about what was going on.  If they'd added another half hour to explain things it probably would've been great.  Twenty minutes into the show JP and I paused it so we could look up the wiki and find out what the heck is supposed to be happening, and even that didn't quite clear it up for me, I still had too many questions.

source

Okay so the moral of this story is that even projects that show a lot of promise can flop because of execution.  (Not saying that TRON was a flop--it just could've been so much better.)

One of my current WIPs has an intricate plot and doesn't take place in this world.  I'm still in the planning/outlining phase but I made a huge red note to myself not to rush into the plot and forget about the set up.  The problem is, I don't want to do an info dump and I don't want to bog the reader down with irrelevant information.

I bet every writer has a different way of doing this, but I think I'll do it through an action scene (my favorite kind of scene to write) in the very beginning that will show the reader a bit about how my world works--the rules, the social construct, etc.

What is your favorite way to integrate backstory into your novel?

Comments

  1. I just watched Tron Legacy a few days ago myself. Late, I know, but my dad got it from the library and I'd been wanting to watch it, especially since I'm a geek and liked the original Tron movie for all its geeky charms, haha.

    Just out of curiosity, had you seen the first Tron movie? And was this post about the new Tron Legacy? Personally, I didn't have a problem with the backstory, but I do understand what you're saying about execution.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back from my Hiatus with fabulous news!

5 Fav Friday: Things to get the creative juices flowing!

JOHN CARTER is awesome (+ABNA news!!)