Things that Inspire, auditory vs. visual

I know a lot of authors who are inspired by music.  They make soundtracks for their WIPs and it helps them set the tone for their writing.  I'm so not one of these people.

I'm not a big auditory person.  Sound is distracting and irritating to me . . . which can be a major problem with my 3 and 1 year old kiddies running around and causing a ruckus all day!  I confess the only time I listen to music is in the car or while I'm cleaning, even then I'd prefer to listen to an audiobook.  

I'm a visual kind of girl.  I like to see things.  I'm inspired by photography, nature, paintings, theatre, and dance.  If I need inspiration for a scene I'll browse Deviant Art or take a walk.  I need eye candy!

Dancing has been a part of my life since I could walk, I find nothing more inspirational than a beautiful dance that tells a story.  I was watching So You Think You Can Dance the other day and was truly inspired by some of the choreography.  Stunning.  The way the lighting, costuming, make-up, and spacial usage came together was magic. 

When I'm writing I tend to think very visually as well.  I take note of the look of words and names on a page, my scenes play out like a movie, I find drawing maps and working with charts very helpful in the development phase, and I have a cork board full of pictures, maps, even a pressed flower. 

It's important for us to recognize what we are inspired by.  Inspiration isn't a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.  Every one is different.  We need to find what it is that inspires us and use that to our advantage.

What inspires you?  Are you an auditory or visual kind of person?

Comments

  1. And here I was beginning to think that I was the only writer who doesn't use music and soundtracks for inspiration :) I enjoy listening to music, but not when I'm trying to focus on something else. Escpecially not when I'm trying to create. I'm a lay on the floor and stare at the ceiling until I can see the scene happening king of girl. Like you, I'm more visual. I love, love, love looking at pictures. Once I graduate and start writing full time again, I think I'm going to have a giant bulletin board that I can use as an inspiration/story book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visual for sure! I do my best work in silence--hard to find with 3 kids :)

    I just gave you an award on my blog...I would love you to come check it out.
    http://livetowrite1.blogspot.com/2011/07/libster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO inspired by So You Think You Can Dance. It's hard not to think of stories when seeing some of the choreography. I'm also inspired by music, especially songs with emotional lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm both, but more visual I think. I LOVE SYTYCD and find my muse there many times! Also great photography and movies gets my creative juices flowing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! I'm definitely more visual -- I've read of other writers giving each character their own song or soundtracks, but that's just never worked for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back from my Hiatus with fabulous news!

5 Fav Friday: Things to get the creative juices flowing!

JOHN CARTER is awesome (+ABNA news!!)